Instagram
MEMBER LOGIN DONATE VOLUNTEER
MORE THAN A GYM About Our YMCA
OUR HISTORY

Our history dates back to the founding of the first YMCA in England in 1844, but so much has happened since then! Scroll down for a photographic history of the Monroe County YMCA.

1844

George Williams launches the YMCA movement in London as a volunteer. The purpose was to create a safe space for young men to remain safe from the temptations and terrible conditions Williams saw in his job as a draper.

1891

The YMCA of Monroe County was founded as a Christian organization serving the students of Indiana University.

1960

We moved off the campus of IU and opened headquarters on W. 17th St., providing outreach programs to better serve the entire Bloomington community.

1985 & 1995

Two expansions added 34,600 square feet to the facility to provide more family, program, and special needs space.

1981

After years of enthusiastic volunteerism, generous support from Cook Groups, Inc., and a community support-a-thon, a new 50,000-square-foot facility opened.

2002

A major renovation expanded the Wellness Center and added a multipurpose room and a yoga studio.

2011

A Capital Campaign was publicly launched to raise funds for a brand new YMCA on the Northwest side of Bloomington, a renovation and new pool for the original facility, and the construction of a new Gymnastics Center next to the original Y.

2012

The Gymnastics Center opened next to the Southeast Y.

2013

The new multipurpose pool opened at the Southeast Y in February, and the Northwest Y opened in November.

2015

In 2015 the Herald-Times chose the Monroe County YMCA as the Reader's Choice favorite Health Club/Gym.